Monday, July 1, 2013

Class Choice?

Posted by Atsumori. Category:

Sometimes in school, I'd sit there and wonder, "Why does the teacher have to repeat that again and again." Repetition frustrated me, and led to my love of doodling. I learned the ABZ theory of learning where I'd never answer or respond to A or B, but instead wait for the Z--the out of the box, extraordinary question or answer. Otherwise I'd have my hand up all the time. I was obedient most of the time. Sitting, listening--struggling sometimes,finding the learning easy other times. Overall, I liked school. There were standout learning moments such as read aloud in kindergarten, math fact contests in third grade, mini plays in fourth, slide presentations in fifth, and Mr. Quist's great current events discussions in sixth. Later there was Mr. Titus' geography in seventh, Ms. Tatiosian's writing lessons in eighth, Ms. Cawley's world history in ninth, 10th Peace and Justice, 11th Art, and 12th independent study. College courses that stood out were Cording's Bishop and Frost poetry, Comparative World Religions by Esposito, Watercolor with Reardon, and Sociobiology. It is interesting to chart the courses that "spoke to you" and stood out in your learning career--for, me those courses were the events that opened doors to new learning for me. Generally these courses offered a bold conversation with rights and wrongs, and challenge. I didn't like the sit and listen, obedience-driven, repetitious learning. Always a passionate educator made a difference for me. As learners we bring different interests, needs, and skills to the table. As a teacher we need to be aware of the variety of learners in our midst. An important consideration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Followers

Web Analytics